Capacity Development Workshop on Road Safety for North and Central Asia Subregion
Road safety is a sustainable development challenge for the Asia-Pacific region. Sixty per cent of the global road fatalities occurred in the region in 2016, indicating an increase by 10.9 per cent from 2013.
In consideration of this, ESCAP in association with the development partners is supporting member countries to work towards improving road safety in the region. As one of its initiatives, ESCAP, with funding support from the Government of the Russian Federation, conducted studies on two major causes of road crashes: i) Speeding and ii) Drink-driving. A Regional Seminar was organized in New Delhi on 24-25 April 2019.
A capacity development workshop was organized in association with the Department of Transport of the Philippines on road safety for the Southeast Asia Subregion in Manila on 27-28 August, 2019.
As a follow up to the Regional Seminar and the capacity development workshop, the ESCAP secretariat in association with the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan organized a capacity development workshop on road safety for North and Central Asia Subregion in Baku on 3-4 October 2019.
The objective of the workshop was to strengthen the capacity of the participants from the member countries in tackling the two main causes of road traffic crashes, injuries and fatalities: i) Speeding and ii) Drink-driving.
The meeting participants were the road safety policy makers from the Subregion and the objective of the workshop is to strengthen the capacity of the participants from the member countries in tackling the two main causes of road traffic crashes, injuries and fatalities.
Participants from nine member countries participated in the workshop.
Details of the event are available below.
Study reports were prepared with the analytical data, key findings and recommendations.
◾ Strategies to Tackle the Issue of Impaired Driving for Road Safety in the Asia-Pacific Region: Implementation Framework
◾ Strategies to Tackle the Issue of Speed for Road Safety in the Asia-Pacific Region: Implementation Framework
- 1. Road Safety a Global and Regional Crisis - ESCAP
- 2. Speeding and Road Safety - ESCAP
- 3. Impaired Driving and Road Safety - ESCAP
- 4. Country Presentation - Azerbaijan
- 5. Country Presentation - Georgia
- 6. Country presentation - Islamic Republic of Iran
- 7. Country presentation - Kazakhstan
- 8. Country presentation - Kyrgyzstan
- 9. Country presentation - Russian Federation (a)
- 10. Country presentation - Russian Federation (b)
- 11. Country presentation - Tajikistan (a)
- 12. Country presentation - Tajikistan (b)
- 13. Country presentation - Uzbekistan