Capacity Development Workshop on Road Safety for Southeast Asia Subregion
Road safety is a sustainable development challenge for the Asia-Pacific region. Sixty per cent of the global road fatalities occurred in the region in 2016, indicating an increase by 10.9 per cent from 2013.
In consideration of this, ESCAP in association with the development partners is supporting member countries to work towards improving road safety in the region. As one of its initiatives, ESCAP, with funding support from the Government of the Russian Federation, conducted studies on two major causes of road crashes: i) Speeding and ii) Drink-driving. A Regional Seminar was organized in New Delhi on 24-25 April 2019.
As a follow up to the Regional Seminar in April 2019, ESCAP in association with the Department of Transportation of the Philippines organized a capacity development workshop on road safety for the Southeast Asia Subregion in Manila on 27-28 August 2019.
Road safety policy makers from the Subregion and international organization participants as well as stakeholders from the Philippines participated in the workshop.
The objective of the workshop was to strengthen the capacity of the participants from the member countries in tackling the two main causes of road traffic crashes, injuries and fatalities which could be achieved through active participation and support of the delegates.
In addition to the above Workshop, ESCAP in association with the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan is planning to organize a second Capacity Development Workshop on Road Safety for the North and Central Asia Subregion on 3-4 October 2019 in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Details of the event will be available soon.
- 1. Presentation on APRSO by Mr. James Leather - ADB
- 2. Presentation on Drink-Drive & Speed by Dr. Vu Anh Tan - VGTRC
- 3. Presentation on Data System for Road Safety-Philippines - HPG
- 4. Presentation on MIROS Initiatives by Ms. Akmalia Shabad
- 5. Presentation on Zero Casualties by Mr. Chang-Yi Luo - Toyota
- 6. Country presentation - Brunei Darussalam
- 7. Country presentation - Cambodia
- 8. Country presentation - Lao PDR
- 9. Country presentation on Speed Management - Indonesia
- 10. Country presentation on Speed Management - Malaysia
- 11. Country presentation - Myanmar
- 12. Country presentation - Thailand
- 13. Country presentation on Speed Management - Viet Nam
- 14. Country presentation - Drink Driving Management - Viet Nam
- 15. Country presentation - Drink Driving Management - Malaysia