Commission on Population and Development fifty-second session
The Commission on Population and Development convened its fifty-second session at the United Nations Headquarters from 1 to 5 April 2019. The theme was “Review and appraisal of the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development and its contribution to the follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”.Bureau membership includes participation from Asia and the Pacific, as was the case during the High-level interactive panel: Key findings and recommendations of the regional conferences on population and development were held on 2 April 2019.
In addition to there being general debate around the aforementioned theme of the meeting, the Commission covered programme implementation and the future programme of work of the Secretariat in the field of population.
Highlights of the 52nd session of relevance to Asia and the Pacific:
- Draft declaration on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the International Conference on Population and Development [Arabic] [Chinese] [English] [French] [Russian] [Spanish];
- High-level interactive panel: Key findings and recommendations of the regional conferences on population and development, Tuesday, 2 April 2019, 10.00 a.m. – 12.00 noon.
For a video of the high-level panel, see below:
- ESCAP statement under agenda item 3 (as delivered by Mr. Paul Tacon);
- ESCAP statement under agenda item 4 (as delivered by Ms. Sabine Henning); and
- 2018 regional review meetings with a focus on the 25-year review of the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development and the outcome documents of the regional conferences.
Further information can be found here.