Financing Sources for Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs)
Recognizing the challenges of financing infrastructure, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) has supported countries in the region for involving the private sector in infrastructure development. As part of this continuous effort, the ESCAP secretariat organized a “Expert Group Meeting on Financing Sources for Public-Private Partnerships”. The meeting focused on South-East Asian countries and was organized in collaboration with the Public Private Partnership Unit (UKAS) of the Government of Malaysia. Participants to the event were government officials from ministries of finance with representatives from national PPP units, central banks, finance institutions, international organizations, institutional investors and regional PPP experts.
The overall objective of the two-day meeting was to explore how to facilitate access to finance for PPP projects. To this end, the meeting did the following:
1. Take stock of financial sector development in South-East Asian countries;
2. Identify measures to increase lending resources for PPP projects;
3. Explore how to mobilize institutional investors for infrastructure development;
4. Review risk mitigation mechanisms;
5. Develop policy recommendations for facilitating private finance of infrastructure development.
Mr. Mathieu Verougstraete, Economic Affairs Officer, Transport Division, UNESCAP
Tel: +66-2 288 1559, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org