ESCAP SDG WEEK: Innovation - Integration - Inclusiveness. Implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific
Asia and the Pacific has made impressive progress towards achieving a number of sustainable development goals including poverty alleviation, education and economic growth. At the same time, the region needs to accelerate concerted efforts across all sectors to achieve the SDGs by 2030. In the face of transboundary challenges such as climate change and natural disasters, energy security and connectivity, ecosystem degradation on land and in our oceans, and promoting sustainable equitable trade, regional cooperation can support and complement the effectiveness of national mechanisms and be a link between global goals and country level commitments.
Recognizing the opportunities of regional cooperation to accelerate sustainable development, the countries of Asia and the Pacific agreed on a regional road map for implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at the 4th Asia Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development in 2017. The road map identifies priority areas of regional cooperation for the means of implementation and partnerships, as well as six thematic areas that correspond to major challenges still faced in our region:
To accelerate progress towards achieving SDGs, the road map calls for strengthened regional cooperation on these priority issues, continued and coordinated support provided by the secretariat and other UN institutions and (sub)regional organizations, as well as more effective knowledge sharing across borders. In response, ESCAP is holding a week dedicated to enhancing and deepening the understanding of the key challenges and solutions for effective implementation of the SDGs.
Over the course of five days, SDG Week will bring together stakeholders from government, academia, the international community, civil society and the private sector and provide them with: an enabling environment for knowledge sharing, building partnerships and engaging in technical level discussions on sustainable development; and the opportunity to provide forward-looking feedback on the support required from ESCAP and other partners.
SDG Week aims to strengthen capacity and increase momentum for SDG implementation in the region through sharing of experiences and knowledge and showcasing innovative, integrated and inclusive approaches. The goal is to facilitate the discussion of tools, support, and partnerships available, including from ESCAP, to overcome bottlenecks and enhance understanding of opportunities for implementing the 2030 Agenda in line with the road map.
- Workshop: Validating Guidelines for Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships for SDG Implementation
- Regional Consultation on UN-WATER Regional Coordination with a Focus on SDG 6
- Regional Workshop on Sustainable Development Benefits of Decentralized Municipal Solid Waste Management in Asia-Pacific Region
- Regional Training on Mainstreaming Climate Change Concerns into National-level Urban-related Policies
- Regional Partners Forum @Quito+1 Strategies and Priorities to Ensure the Implementation of the NUA in Asia and the Pacific
- Urban Nexus Experiences: Opportunities for Local Governments to Promote Innovative, Integrated and Inclusive Resource Management to Achieve Global Agendas
- Regional Workshop of Understanding Data Needs for Inclusive Development
- Training on the Energy Portal
- Regional Consultative Meeting on Good Urban Governance (GUG)
- Regional Consultation on UN-Water – Regional Coordination with a Focus on SDG 6
- Hands-on Sessions: Introduction to the SDG Help Desk
- Bazaar of Ideas
- Booths and exhibits: Pavilion of Partnerships