ASEAN-United Nations Joint Strategic Plan of Action on Disaster Management
The Thematic Working Group on Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience has advanced partnership with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). It forged a coherent approach towards engaging the ASEAN Secretariat and the AHA Centre to align the work and activities of the United Nations with jointly agreed priorities that support the implementation of the ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response (AADMER) Work Programme for 2016-2020. The ASEAN- United Nations Joint Strategic Plan of Action on Disaster Management 2016-2020 is the result of this engagement.
The ASEAN-United Nations Joint Strategic Plan of Action on Disaster Management constituted an important step towards greater coherence in United Nations engagement with ASEAN on disaster risk reduction and management. Instead of each United Nations agency pursuing separate initiatives with ASEAN, it serves as an overall framework and promotes consistency in engagement, covering areas such as preparedness and response; risk assessment, early warning and monitoring; and prevention, mitigation, outreach and mainstreaming.
ESCAP, as the UN lead agency of the risk awareness and assessment priority programme, in cooperation with ASEAN and the members of the Thematic Working Group on Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience, is implementing initiatives to deliver on the UN’s commitments under the said priority programme.
- ESCAP’s Regional Cooperative Mechanism for Drought Monitoring and Early Warning
- Risk-Informed Development: using disaster risk information for resilience
- ASEAN High-Level Policy Dialogue on Risk Assessment, Manila, 15 September 2017
- ASEAN Dynamic Risk Assessment Guidelines and Experiences (ADAGE) : https://sites.google.com/view/adage-approach/home
- Capacity building for subseasonal-to-seasonal prediction for South-East Asia
- ESCAP/ASEAN site